Practice development program coordinator
What does a practice nurse do?
Practice nurses are registered nurses (Div 1) or enrolled nurses (Div 2) who work in the general practice or primary health care setting. Some have postgraduate qualifications in Midwifery, Women’s health, Chronic disease management, Immunisation and more.
Practice nurses have a variety of roles within their own scope of practice. This includes, but is not limited to:
- clinical skills in patient triage
- wound care
- chronic disease management and allied health coordination
- aged care assessments
- preventative health checks
- patient education
- women’s and children’s health checks
- pap tests
- systems improvement and audits
- data management
- clinical research
How does the GML support practice nurses?
We organise a variety of practice nurse education events across the Grampians region. These Practice Nurse Network meetings provide a strong education component, but also provide opportunity for professional networking and support.
- Ararat Practice Nurse Network meetings are usually held on certain Tuesdays from 10.00 am to 3.30 pm.
- In Horsham these are usually held on certain Thursdays from 10.00 am to 3.30 pm.
- In Ballarat, most events are held on certain Thursdays from 12.30 pm to 2.00 pm.
- Download the 2013 GML nurse education calendar here (PDF)
Some events are held on different days or evenings in order to provide a mix to cater for variations in availability.
Practice nurses in Ballarat are also invited to attend the Tuesday CPD programme that GPs and Allied health providers attend at the Ballarat Health Services.
The GML advertises events on the events calendar of our website, in our email communications and newsletters. Some relevant external events are promoted this way too. Please RSVP to events directly via our website events page.
New nurse GML orientation
We can organise an orientation for new nurses to a general practice. This includes a summary of resources and support that the GML offers nurses and medical practices, as well as other relevant local information. Please contact us on 5331 6303 to organise this free service.
Practice nurse newsletters
For further practice nurse information and support contact Jess Danko (RN Div 1) on 5331 6303 or email@example.com.
- Evaluation of the Practice Nurse Incentive Program (PNIP) New September 2013
- Practice Nurse Incentive Program (PNIP)
- Nov 2011 Primary Health Services and General Practice: systematic referral cycles
- BHS protocol for practice nurses attending RACFs
- Estimated waiting times at Ballarat Community Health / and Ballarat Primary Care New April 2013
Continuing Professional Development
Print this CPD portfolio template to keep track of your CPD. Nurses are required to maintain a CPD portfolio (electronic or hard copy) to meet recent practice requirements as set out in the respective state/territory legislation. (Thanks to from Dandenong Casey DGP)
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Board
- Australian College of Nursing
- Australian Nursing Federation
- Australian Practice Nurse Association
With PN registration becoming national there are new issues around professional indemnity to consider.
- Australian Nursing Federation members receive professional indemnity insurance
- Making sense of professional indemnity
- About APNA Professional Indemnity Insurance
- List of e-Learning opportunities for practice nurses (Oct 2012)
Australian Medicare Local Alliance Resources
This list is designed for primary care nurses and the people they work with.
- 2012 General Practice Nurse National Survey Report
- Nurse Clinics in Australian General Practice: Planning, Implementation & Evaluation
- Guide to student nurse placements in general practice
- Supporting Advanced Nursing Development and Sustainability in General Practice Toolkit
- A Framework for Advancing General Practice Nursing
- NiGP Resources Flyer
Orientation and Training
- Understanding Research: a guide for primary health care nurses
- Leadership in Action: a learning module for nurses in general practice
- Teaching and Learning in the workplace: a learning module for nurses in general practice
- Expanding your practice: a learning module for nurses in general practice
- Online Orientation Program for Nurses new to General Practice (Download the course outline here)
- Nursing in General Practice Recruitment and Orientation Resource: a guided for general practices, practice nurses & divisions of general practice
Practice Nurse Incentive Program (PNIP)
- Before & After PNIP information sheet
- Creating Opportunity booklet
- Creating Opportunity short films
- PNIP Immunisation information sheet
- PNIP Wound management information sheet
- PNIP Cervical Screening information sheet
- PNIP Resources brochure
- PNIP Business case tool
- PNIP Posters:
- PNIP Webinar
- Nurse practitioners in primary care: Benefits for your practice